Tuesday 28 March 2017

Red Carded



So, I've been banned from Competitive for the rest of Season 4, for consecutively leaving games "early". "Good, so you should be you dirty quiter!"

I've never been banned from anything in my life! Looks like I'll be keeping the bench warm for the remaining on the season.

Now, I just want to explain, I am not actually an early quiter! I admit I have been guilty of leaving games "early", however when I say "early" I mean leaving games at the 'play of the game' or 'defeat' screen once the game has been concluded, not whilst the game is still in play. In my defence (well, kind of) I wasn't aware that leaving the game at the conclusion counted as an early leave until I Googled Overwatch bans.

Surely this doesn't warrant a season long ban?

Do I believe people should be punished for leaving match early whilst the game is still in progress? Yes. I can't stand it when people leave halfway through a game. 

Do I think people should be punished for leaving the match once the game has been concluded? Personally, no. The result has been determined, and leaving on the 'defeat' or 'play of the game' screen does not, in my opinion, hurt or involve the other players on the team. 

Overwatch can be a frustrating games at times, as we all know! Let's face it, that's why it's such an addictive and fun game. If it was easy, it would get boring very quickly. So I'll be honest when I say I get frustrated, especially when I've gone on a losing streak and at the fourth consecutive loss I leave the game "early" at the 'defeat' or 'play of the game' screen. I've never shouted abuse at people, I've never "thrown" a game because we're losing, I've never trolled anyone. I always try to play fairly and to the best of my abilities. All I am guilty of, as it seems, is leaving a match at the conclusion of the game. 

Now, if leaving the game at the conclusion is indeed a punishable offence, then I am willing to hold my hands up, take my punishment like a grown up, and learn from my mistake. However, this said, I do believe a season long ban in this case is a bit extreme. I appreciate that the system probably just registers it as an early leave, and cannot distinguish at what point the player actually leaves, which makes sense. But surely Blizzard employ the support guys to review individual cases? 

Anyway, I have written to Blizzard to see if I can get my ban reduced, or even lifted. However, from what I have read on other forums, this is unlikely to happen. I am really gutted I've been banned for a whole season, which essentially means I won't be able to play Comp for 2 month.

The only positive that has come from this is that at least we now know Blizzard do punish those annoying quiters!

UPDATED

So, I got in contact with Blizzard. Sadly they are unable to lift bans. I am pretty annoyed to say the least, surely Blizzard should look at individual cases if bans are questioned?! 

I have to say, they were very quick to respond to my email, so cannot critise their customer support. 

Anyway, it looks like I won't be playing competitive unit next season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment